How can you recycle used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you choose to upgrade to a more sophisticated model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased relative: your pre-owned hearing aids should be donated versus throwing them away.
There are lots of people suffering from hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and a few organizations out there that collect and distribute those hearing aids to the people in need. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Contribute a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
First, here are some important stats about hearing loss and hearing aids in the US:
- Around 14% of the overall population, has loss of hearing
- 91% of adults who have hearing loss are over the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would benefit almost 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever had them
This is extremely troubling. Because health issues like mental decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been connected to untreated hearing loss. The value of your hearing to your general health is backed up by new research coming out all of the time. These health issues can be prevented and in certain cases reversed by hearing aids.
And the final convincing point is that hearing loss can cost the average family $12,000 in income every year. But hearing aids can actually decrease that cost by up to 50%.
It might not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your used hearing aid can have a tremendous impact, in the health, quality of life and financial well-being, for an individual in need who could not otherwise afford a hearing aid. It may also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could impact their ability to get into college and make a livable wage when they’re older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are numerous volunteer organizations and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and see us so we can guide you on the correct recycling option for you. Or give us a call.